HomeEcThriftandStyle.blogspot.com/

Thursday, June 6, 2013

FOR THE LOVE OF BOOKS


Many years ago I read the statistics and the correlation between jailed convicts and the inability to read! This photo/image reminds me of a little girl who lived long ago and who was an avid reader and a lover of all good books. That little girl was me. Now I am a big girl and I simply adore books. I have a few boards @ Pinterest devoted to book and the appreciation for the written world. We should be selective and read the finest books and articles.

At a very young age I fell in love with Russian history and literature. Of course, I still read Russian realism, but I do not speak the language and read the translations into other languages. Among my favorite authors are Tosltoy and Chekhov, of course. I adore Russia plays and Chekhov rules my heart I that regard. I like Russian stories as much as I enjoy Canadian stories. Among favorite works of fiction are these Russian authors: Garshin, Bunin, Kataev, Ivanov, and many other great ones. The Red Flower by Garshin is a favorite story that I hold in high regard. I found profound love in Russia realism as opposed to French realism.

I have fallen in love with the Russian dasha as much as with the Winter Palace. Dostoyevsky, Turgenev, and many others intrigue me. In the arts, my distant Franco-Russo heritage inspires me from French Shabby Chic to the Russian arts – the paintings of Wassily Kandisky, the music of Tchaikovsky, the ballet, the art of Faberge (accent), the poetry of Anna Akhmatova and the life and works of Pushkin fascinate me. I like a good game of chess despite being mediocre. I believe the in that old Russia rules the classics. By the same token, I appreciate the work of many authors from different lands such as D.H. Lawrence,Charlotte Bronte and the poetry written by the sisters as well.

I fell in love with Little Women many decades ago. The village novels by Miss Read such as Return to Thrush Green and No Holy for Miss Quinn fascinate me and I find myself rereading the stories at times. The novels and the stories written by L.M. Montgomery are lovely. The author shares common ground with me, her love of books and nature. One cannot leave out children’s books written by Mrs. Wilder. Laura Ingalls Wilder taught us about the spirit of the frontier and pioneer strives through her kind books. I have read many biographies. There is an autobiography that gave me much laughter, Belles on their Toes. I liked the movies based on Cheaper by the Dozen and Belles on their Toes, but the book delighted me.

I enjoy reading poetry in different languages. There are two poets (who wrote in English) who motivate to write and read more poetry. These poets excite my curiosity and they are John Keats (Ode to a Nightingale) and Walt Whitman (Leaves of Grass). Have you read Whitman’s Salut au Monde? Have you made the time to read his masterpiece of poetry, Leaves of Grass and the lengthy poem Song of Myself? I find the poetry of Shelley, Yeats, and other great masters from other lands great literary works that touch the human spirit. I like Occitane poems by Mistral, French poems by Hugo (The Three Musketeers, a very well written book), Jose Angel Bueza, Jose Marti, Federico Garcia Lorca, and many other great ones that inspire me every day of my life.

I enjoy reading fictional food! There is a special book that I hold very dear to me (despite the author’s reference to ‘weight’ and a few lines that only a man could write and which I will not repeat as they are in very poor taste). The Pop Larkin Chronicles: The Darling Buds of May is very dear to me. I came across the book after watching Britain’s most successful and highly rated television series by the same name, The Darling Buds of May. This book has inspired me in many ways. I fell in love with Ma and her cooking. The first two episodes in the series are my favorites. I watched the entire series and read the books. I like a good cozy mystery specialty: the culinary mysteries, Sherlock Holmes, and stories about Inns. There are cozies without murders in this genre. As for our dear friend, Jessica Beatrice Fletcher of Murder, She Wrote, I appreciate the writing of Donald Bain. I hold dear the novel he autographed for me, A Yultide Murder.

Overall, the Romany of the world does not value books and reading as much as they devote time to other passions such as music, travel, and dancing. I take after my non-Roma grandfather, the gadjo who had respect for learning and who wrote poetry despite being occupied as a businessman. He knew how to invest his money, but he also taught his eight children to appreciate books. He was an avid reader. In fact, it was Grandfather who introduced me to television’s Little House on the Prairie. While others find great pleasure researching and reading about law, medicine, history, science, consumer economics and do not have much time to invest in fiction … I wish you would reconsider and read one work of fiction each month. By the end of the year you would have read a dozen good books. I warn you, fictional reading is addictive!

Enjoy your day, and ladies, remember that it is the month of June, so wear your pearls, your cameos, and a big, wide smile of joy and hope … Smiling is contagious and like books a smile like laughter has so much to offer to those in despair. ~Annie~




No comments:

Post a Comment