HomeEcThriftandStyle.blogspot.com/

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Literary Regrets

If there is one factor in my life that I regret that is that I never kept a journal of the many books, journals, articles, and all sources of reading material. I have two journals for that purpose and I have not filled either with wonderful book titles and notes. I fear it. Why? Well, I wish I had kept a huge journal of all that I have read. This is an impressive list. I wish I could have kept a journal for that purpose alone and wish that school made it mandatory since grade six. When I was eleven years young my parents purchased books for me. A man selling encyclopedias knocked on our door. I know about The World Book Encyclopedia. When that gentleman approached us I wanted the set of expensive books. We had a family meetings, my parents and I, and I must say it was a good investment. I read all the volumes! Today we have the wonderful search tools of Google and other learning links within Google. Learning is a lifelong event! I wish that everyone took advantage of this wonderful modern-day blessing via the Internet! Recipes and Consumer economics, home economics, and other related topics such as gardening, home repairs, nutrition and diets, and the world of Web MD, online Thesaurus, and other tools are 'fast' and 'efficient' and we should enjoy the mission that is learning and the journey that is online reading and researching, but texting, social media chats and posts, and movies, television, and so forth, are interests that others enjoy. I invest time on Pinterest once I have read and done housework or in between chores. We must value our time for what is important to us. I do not sacrifice exercising, housework and reading for Pinterest, which are scrapbook boards in my opinion. Oh, 'life is good,' as my husband says, but one must organize and schedule tasks and keep a list or journal to further facilitate our goals! I am grateful for the Internet. I do not play online games. I do not know where to find them. If I want to play a game, I bring out the board game when there is time and my husband and I play. One should set realistic goals. We purchased a new edition game of Monopoly which was on sale and we paid very little for it at an outlet store. No, it is not the huge shopping chain ... Anyhow, we did not have time to invest on that particular game as it is time consuming. I gave it to my niece and the kids play it with their father on any given Monday for family evening activities. I like to play Parcheesi. Of course, I like to play chess, but I have been given a self-imposed, self-classified demerit, I am not an average player anymore, I am a bad player, though I like the game very much. We play for fun, burn twenty calories playing for one hour, and enjoy fun while not sacrificing more than one day a week for our game date. One has to be realistic setting goals! It is good to keep occupied, but we have to work on spending less time doing chores once spring cleaning is done and since we are doing it at slow pace this spring cleaning 'event' will take us until summer to accomplish. I own many books that I have kept throughout the years. Organization and labeling, filing location of book titles and other items is a time consuming project. I have achieved part one, but part two starts next week. I have help. My husband helps me. Once that has been accomplished there will be more time for reading, learning, and sewing two aprons, one is a vintage project and the other is a Shabby Chic project. I am setting the time and scheduling 'events,' and I refuse to call these goals 'projects' because I see it as an event of a different kind and one that is very enjoyable. Nevertheless, I regret not having kept a journal recording all titles and notes of everything I have read in my life. Spring cleaning, learning, keeping occupied, enjoying online research, keeping appointments, and preparing tasty, healthy meals are important 'events,' but the Great Event, the record of all the material I have read should have been recorded. Now I regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment