HomeEcThriftandStyle.blogspot.com/

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Reading: More Time, Please!

I enjoy reading old books a second time. Some books are favorites and I read certain passages or chapters. Every Christmas I read the first or first and second chapters of Little Women. I also enjoy Christmas stories by L.M. Montgomery. I have read these Christmas stories many times and always savor its richness. However, I have many good books to read, cozy kittens to masterpieces in the classics such as my favorite, realism in Russian literature (no politics involved). Russian fiction ranks high on my list for its perfection! I am writing a schedule of books to read each year. This list covers fiction and non fiction, three consumer magazines and fun reading as well. I wish there was more time in the day to read so much more. It frustrates me in that I wish to read many good books in one month and due to chores and an intense exercise program as well as appointments this is not possible to conquer. I keep trying. It seems that when I was young there was time for reading all the books on the list and for many other tasks. All I can do is try and read, read, read ... I also like to write girlish works of fiction, little stories, and this takes time from my reading schedule, but writing is another passion and worth the sacrifice of a token book. I observe how busy my husband is and how much he reads. Like me, he reads every day and also spends time online. I admire a man who has an organized mind, high morals, and reads every day! We discuss books and current events, the economy, of course ... It is good to be married to a person who shares many common interests with me. I do respect the fact that he continues to learn, reads every day and is kind. My husband says that he wishes there was more time in the day for hobbies, interests, chores, and yes, reading! Well, we do what we can and by far, we read much more than most individuals we know who enjoy other wonderful interests. What inspired me to be the avid reader that I am today? My family/extended family, they are avid readers, too! Yet, this must be an in-born quality. If I see a flower I cannot identify, an antique, a recipe, all things that spark curiosity in me ... I look it up. I do the research. My husband does the research as well. He does not lean on me to look up information/facts for him, he does the research as I do my own. When my husband reads the present-day concept for a 'newspaper,' mediocre in quality, small and thin newspaper, he still highlights and makes notes on the newspaper pages as he does in books or with his kindle. I do not read the newspaper, but my husband knows the articles that interest me and he hands them to me and I place them inside pocket pages in folders/binder journal books. I write on magazines such as consumer and woman's magazines, home economics magazines and so forth. I do not write on fiction books, but I still write on some of my books and I do it with a pencil and not with a highlighter as my husband does. We are never too old, too tired, or too busy to read, learn and do our own research in any matter that interests us. I miss not attending the theatre, the philharmonic and a string quartet concert. The time we enjoyed the ballet must have been seven years ago. I do not miss it much. On youtube.com I enjoy music while I write or pin on Pinterest. I like dressing up to the philharmonic and since I am familiar with classical music having studied its composers many years, I know what I am listening to. It is good to have time to do housework and prepare exquisite meals, but reading, writing, and the arts are also important in my life. Exercising consumes hours of effort and I find it enjoyable. Yes, I am like most individuals who enjoy so may wonderful activities, including reading, and wish I have eight additional hours in the day to read. The idea of writing a schedule of books I want to read during the year (and this can be done quarterly)is a productive idea as long as I have the list next to me at all times during hours of reading activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment